Worldwide Dog Grooming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New advice question

3 posters

Go down

New advice question Empty New advice question

Post  Guest Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:40 pm

As you know we had Molly put down the other day. One of her problems was peeing in the house. One of my other dogs has started doing it too. I'm sure it's because she can smell it. I am a FREAK about my house NOT smelling likes dogs so I frantically clean my floors almost daily. How do I get this dog housebroken again? She's super sneaky about it too. Izzie is only about 2 years old and was doing fine until about a month ago. My daughter caught her peeing in her room on her carpet and I caught her again last night but those are the only two times we've actually seen her do it so I can't yell at her. It happens daily that I step in a wet spot and I am ready to throttle her (or send her back to the pound from whence she came...well, not really). She hasn't been crated in months and even so, she does it during the day when she normally wouldn't be crated anyway. I just wish I could catch the little bugger in the act.

Back to top Go down

New advice question Empty Re: New advice question

Post  sucker4setters Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:50 pm

maybe she has a bladder infection??? Or a UTI???

sucker4setters

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:44 pm

Unlikely as she's been on anit biotics for almost two months for a bacterial skin infection.

Back to top Go down

Post  skyeline Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:48 pm

its probably more of a habit...but is she still on meds,and have they changed??
i reckon just from knowing Izzy that she would be a territory marker for sure.Maybe she has sensed changes in Molly ,and detected a shift in the pack dynamic,and decided to 'stamp (pee) her authority' .Now that Molly isnt there ,that behaviour may even increase. Time now for YOU to decide who is where in the 'new' pack. be firm,fair and consistent .Make your choice and stick by it. Izzy especially needs firm but fair handling (remember what i did with her at the vet...)
skyeline
skyeline
Puppy
Puppy

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post  MsAcer Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:42 pm

I start with re-crating when you can't watch her, leash her to you when she is out of the crate or tether her close, start re-scheduling potty time with you going out with her to pee and praise her when she does. A little on leash obedience never hurts. AND clean the area with Natures miracle or half white vinager/half water *really* soak the spots. E-mail me your address and I'll send you this great house training book. It's a good refresher kind of book.

MsAcer
Puppy
Puppy

Number of posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:51 pm

Wow, I can't imagine crating Izzie when I'm downstairs at work. I know that's what needs to be done, it's just that all my dogs are in the house and we have a doggie door that she uses all the time. We plan on crating her at night again though. Tammy is right though. Izzie definetly has an attitude. I would take her down to work with me but she fights with other dogs until she gets used to them. She is the sweetest little dog but she can be a HUGE brat when she wants to.

Back to top Go down

Post  MsAcer Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:17 pm

Your gonna have to crate her so she will not be able to sneak marking. The more times she marks the bigger the habit will be, dogs learn only by repetition. I would crate her for a month then start by giving her VERY limited freedom somewhere(like the kitchen) where you can tell if she's marked anything. Really, e-mail me your address and I'll send you this great little book I send with all my rescue dogs. These are books you can buy cheap from the vet who wrote them(if your a rescue), I pass em out like crazy!

MsAcer
Puppy
Puppy

Number of posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down