Worldwide Dog Grooming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need some advice from friends!

4 posters

Go down

I need some advice from friends! Empty I need some advice from friends!

Post  Guest Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:15 am

I spend most of my life feeling guilty for things, not spending enough time with the family, dogs, business, not earning enough money, my weight. You name it. But I am feeling especially guilty about one of my dogs and I need some advice. Everyone knows I have plenty of dogs (7 to be exact) and I sometimes rescue/dogsit. It is what I love to do. Being that I work and have a family my time is limited so I can only walk them once a day. We may only go once but we go to the park or something away from the home and I take as many as I can depending on if I have my kids/hubby. My problem and focus of my guilt right now is Molly. Molly is an older than dirt Cocker Spaniel that was dumped on my road about 8 months ago. Her teeth are rotten, she is mostly deaf from severe ear infections, she tries desperately to bite if you pick her up. That being said, she loves my daughter and actually gets very excited when she comes home (too bad Amy can't stand her). Molly paces the house constantly. When she's not sleeping, she's pacing and lately all I've been doing is cleaning up pee EVERYWHERE! Fortunately I have hard floors but because she is peeing, other dogs are starting to, especially those I am dog sitting. Occasionally I take her on walks with us and she can usually keep up like an old trooper but she can't go fast or very long so mostly I leave her home where she paces inside or in the backyard since she can use the doggie door. My hubby thinks it's time to put her down but I am so guilt ridden over that because I tend to think that if I walked her more she wouldn't be "bored" and do these things. She still eats well every evening. I didn't choose this dog, but she's here and I feel like I owe her. I don't know what to do and it really makes me sad that I don't have "time" for her. For the record, my Coco doesn't get walked much either because he's such a little peanut and gets plenty of exercise playing with the other dogs. Dogs I am dogsitting don't get walked either so Molly is almost never alone but doesn't interact at all with other animals.

Oh, and I must mention that Molly doesn't like me AT ALL. If I reach for her she tries to bite me and she won't follow me anywhere so even if I wanted to take her by myself on walks, I can't.

Back to top Go down

I need some advice from friends! Empty Re: I need some advice from friends!

Post  skyeline Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:56 pm

oh boy ,Julie ....its not an easy one

as i know Molly personally,and kind of like her,and clicked with her,i feel your pain Sad To start with ,the first few days i knew Molly,i really thought to myself "what are these people doing keeping this poor old dog above ground!" ...watching her pace,and seem lonely(not interacting with the dogs) broke my heart.But as i got to see more ,i was astonished to see her getting up and down the stairs,eating ,going outside,knowing when Amy was home and seeking her out. I even picked her up and nursed her a few times,and took her for a fair walk with the others one day.

BUT,,,saying that,and after spending time with her,i really think if you made the decision to send her over,it would NOT be the wrong one.I can well imagine your anguish over this decision,but you know what.....if Molly was my dog ,i think it is one i could safely make

Its never easy,and she is your dog,so it is your decision. I dont envy you having to make it,But just remember,it is often the final most loving thing we can do for them. Do you have a vet you can confide in ,to help you ?

call back here for support anytime Julie...we're all here for you
Tammy xx
skyeline
skyeline
Puppy
Puppy

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:11 pm

The appt. is set for 6:30 this evening Crying or Very sad

Wouldn't you know that when Amy came home from school today, Molly jumped up on her lap to be petted. She never does that. Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post  skyeline Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:20 pm

oh dear ,that is sad news Sad
just remember that you gave her more love and care than she probably ever knew. Without you,she may never have known such love and warmth and comfort
thinking of you (and crying with you)
Tammy x
skyeline
skyeline
Puppy
Puppy

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:55 pm

Awww, Julie that is sooo sad. I know you would have done everything in your power to make her life better and I believe that by just rescuing her, you did. Don't be so hard on yourself, you gave her a home, comfort, company and love, what more could a dog ask for. Big hugs coming your way {{{{{{{{hug}}}}}}}}}}}
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 158

https://wwdoggrooming.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:22 pm

It's done. I'm very sad at the choice I made. The vet's office tried to talk my hubby into anti dementia drugs. Just let me do this already!

Back to top Go down

Post  skyeline Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:29 pm

Julie dont feel guilty for a second longer. whats to be guilty of....picking up a poor old dog and loving /caring for it ?? NO...you should only feel guilty if you had left her on the side of the road!

you've got a heart of gold. I love you
skyeline
skyeline
Puppy
Puppy

Back to top Go down

Post  MsAcer Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:48 pm

I think you did the "right" thing.
It's always hard to put down a dog, but sounds like this was the best thing for the old beast. That pacing stuff gets on the nerves and shows that something was wrong with the dog. Giving anti-dementia drugs sounds perverse to me! Poor old dog, I'm so happy she had a great home for the last part of her live...

MsAcer
Puppy
Puppy

Number of posts : 88

Back to top Go down

Post  puppycamp Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:57 am

Julie,
I'm so sorry you had to go thru this with Molly. Quit feeling guilty and remember that you cared to take her in, care for her and were concerned about her quality of life. Somebody else obviously didn't do any of these things for her. You chose to release her responsibly and compassionately, someone else dumped her. You are a true rescuer and deserve to be happy knowing you cared for her. It is never easy to euthanize but the decision is made more comfortably when the pet is terminally ill and has little quality of life left. When that isn't the case, the decision is often laced with guilt and pain and it shouldn't be...it is the responsiblilty that goes along with caring for an animal. Hugs to you, Pal, You're a good one!

puppycamp

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-10-03

http://www.thepetgroomroom.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down