Worldwide Dog Grooming
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

vent about kids

3 posters

Go down

vent about kids Empty vent about kids

Post  Guest Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:28 pm

I am soooo mad I could spit nails! Last week my daughter sent me a text from school. It was the last two minutes of her last class and she just wanted to ask me a question about something after school. Now I know full well that they are not allowed to text in school but from what I could tell, it was the end of the day. Anyhow I texted my answer back. Apparently her teacher saw her phone light up in her bag when my text came through and wrote her up. This is splitting hairs and I'm not condoning her breaking the rules but she got in trouble, technically, for receiveing a text. The teacher wrote a referral to the office. Emily got THREE days detention after school! I was mad, mostly at her and we took her phone off of her for a month. The part that really pisses me off is that we got a letter today stating that her membership in the National Honor Society has been revoked because of the disciplinary action. The teacher that wrote her up just happens to be the advisor of the Honor Society and knew full well what a referral would cause. She said that texting in her class has gotten out of control and she had to do something about it. I will be taking this extreme punishment up with the principal tomorrow.

Back to top Go down

vent about kids Empty Re: vent about kids

Post  skyeline Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:37 am

a month affraid LOL,i know how that will hurt Emily Shocked

and yes ,i can understand the teacher having to take a stance ,if ,infact,the texting in class has been a bit out of hand.....BUT not the honor society thing.That seems a bit extreme. Is it Emilys' first offense?? i could understand if its not,but a bit much for a first offense....

what exactly is the honor society ?? Thanx
skyeline
skyeline
Puppy
Puppy

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:33 am

I thought she was gonna die when I took her phone away but she's actually doing well without it. I have a meeting with the principal today. It was her first offense so three days detention is extreme. A warning would have been sufficient. I'm sorry that the teacher has been having a problem with texting in her class but I won't allow her to use my daughter as an example at the expense of her honor society membership.

Tammy the National Honor Society is an organization of kids that maintain a 3.6 gpa or above. They are required to have a certain number of service hours and have a clean discipline record. This goes a LONG way towards college scholarships and grants. It is one of the few hopes we have for sending her to college. Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post  CoatCutter Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:55 am

The punishment seems a bit extreme for a first offense. I mean, she's never caught anyone else? The teacher must have known the effect it would have on her Honor Society membership. If it was me, I would've taken her aside, and given her a warning/lecture, and been done with it. Next time, different story. Or, when she was caught, tell the whole class that texting is getting out of hand in her class, and that anyone that is caught from now on, will get the 3 days detention, and it may effect their Honor Society memberships. Seems like there is a parallel here...
CoatCutter
CoatCutter

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-10-05

Back to top Go down

Post  skyeline Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:34 pm

so how did the meeting go ??

what's gpa?
skyeline
skyeline
Puppy
Puppy

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2008-10-02

Back to top Go down

Post  CoatCutter Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:34 pm

It's Grade Point Average... a score they have at their schools. Don't ask me how they work it out though scratch
CoatCutter
CoatCutter

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:34 pm

Well the teacher was totally unapologetic and pretty much said "sorry about your luck". Chris and I had a meeting with the principal today and while he totally understood my frustration and admitted that maybe the teacher could have used a little discretion, there was nothing he could do because the Honor Society rules are chapter-wide and not the schools' rules. The three days detention is a punishment common for this violation since texting has gotten out of hand. He did tell me that Emily can reapply next year because she goes to a different school (the high school, 11th and 12th). The funny part (and the part that made me not so mad anymore) was that this morning he had dropped his own son off for detention. He is a 9th grader in another school district and had gotten in trouble for being late to class three time. He also got booted from the honor society and there's nothing he can do about it. lol

GPA= Grade point average. It is a scale used to determine class rankings. Honors classes are weighted heavier and are based on letter grades. For example an A=5 points, B=4 etc. You add them up and divide by the number of classes. Your GPA is what gets you into the best colleges/universities and can lead to scholarships.

Back to top Go down

Post  CoatCutter Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:15 am

Thanks for clearing that up Julie... always wondered how they worked it out Very Happy
CoatCutter
CoatCutter

Back to top Go down

Post  lorie Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:35 am

Me too... and I WORK in a school!!

Well, at least she was not being singled out.. good she can re-apply.
lorie
lorie
Toy
Toy

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down